Friday 1 April 2011

The Chanakya's Chant

Greetings Folks !! I'm back ! Sorry for being out of action for long, as my hectic work schedules keep me from pursuing my love of writing. Its has been a breakup of sorts, with the pen. I'm sure the pen now feels let down that I haven't been able to touch it for long. 

I've always been a huge fan of  Chanakya's teachings and consider this puny Brahman from 340 BC as the most intelligent man ever born on this planet. I recently came across a book (please go through the video trailer below) at a store, while searching for a set of notes. What struck me was the word "chant". My faint remembrances of "Chanakya" date back to the 80's when Doordarshan was the only channel available and a TV Series named "Chanakya" was being aired at 11 AM every sunday. (That was of course after we've watched "Mahabharat" and "Chandrakaanta" ... phew .... good old days eh !). The word "chant" somehow struck my inquisitive chords and instinctively, I picked up this book.

On a casual Sunday afternoon, I decided to read a few pages to see what it was about. By the time I could realise, I had discovered an entirely new dimension about how powerful human thinking can be. This is a book which is a quick, gripping read and one that that spans epochs in time, going back in time to the age of the king maker Chanakya, who succeeded by intrigue, intellect and a drive for revenge to install Chandragupta Maurya in the throne of Magadh, and Pandit Gangasagar Misra, a humble Pandit from UP who emerges as a modern day king maker, rather queen maker, by harnessing the power of the Chanakyan chant to install his protegee, Chandini Gupta to the throne of modern day Bharat, namely the prime ministerial position in India. The narrative moves swiftly between the past and the present, with the minutae of the events that changed the course of history as compelling as the machinations of those who manipulate voter banks and broker political deals in the modern day political and business environment.

 

On that Sunday, I lost track of time. When I finally thought to give a pause to the day's readings. After about 6 hours and 250 pages, I realised I've come across one of the most beautifully written books by an Indian author. Chanakya is one character which we can draw inspiration from. He was way ahead of his time. No wonder he is one of the most talked about person of the foregone Mauryan Era.

If you ever get a chance to lay your hands on this book, I would strongly suggest that read it. It will take you a day, but what you will learn will be with you for a lifetime. If you dont find this book, please let me know. You're always welcome to give me a call and borrow this one from me. 

Adios folks ... am off to sleep ..... will keep writing ! 





No comments:

Post a Comment